Sunday, August 10, 2014

The Owls at Devil's Peak Lookout

Devil's Peak Lookout
I have felt a close kinship with owls for most of my life. Over the years, I have had many encounters with these stealthy raptors, but none was more memorable than an incident with a pair of great horned owls at the Devil's Peak forest fire lookout 11 miles southwest of Oregon's Mt. Hood. I backpacked to the summit and spent the night in the old, decommissioned lookout on three separate occasions in the early 1980's. It is a difficult 3.8 mile hike up a very steep trail that is not very scenic. However, when you summit Devil's Peak and ascend the steps of the historic lookout tower, the views are spectacular. The volcanic peaks visible from the lookout include Mt. Jefferson to the south and Mt. Hood to the northwest. Now that the peak is no longer an official fire lookout, the surrounding trees are growing up and will soon obscure most of the expansive views.

I have visited fire lookouts throughout the Pacific Northwest, but Devil's Peak is one of the few lookouts that still remains open to the public and you can actually camp in. The tower is well maintained by volunteers and there is a log book inside where many overnight visitors have signed in. I have had some interesting experiences while camping at the lookout. I remember being awakened early one morning by the lookout door banging in the wind. When I got up to latch the door, I was greeted by the most magnificent sunrise I have ever seen.

During an overnight stay in the summer of 1980, I ventured out onto the wrap-around deck at dusk. Just as I stepped out the door, I came face-to-face with an airborne great horned owl that narrowly missed colliding with me. I was startled, to say the least, and retreated back into the lookout. I spent the remainder of the evening sitting quietly inside the lookout, observing the owl and its mate hunting mice around the perimeter of the structure. The stealthy owls perched atop the tower's overhead window shutters to stalk their prey. Using keen vision and silent wings, they glided to the ground, capturing rodents in their powerful talons. Even when it became too dark to see the owls, I could still hear the high pitched squeaks of their prey. It was a rare experience in the wild that I will never forget.

Owl Medicine

Many people have a fear of owls and owl medicine. Contemplate what it means if you're not comfortable with an animal. If you dislike or are afraid of an animal, it's especially important to connect with it and learn its wisdom. The message it holds for you will be particularly meaningful. Power animals help us connect to the parts of ourselves that we've lost or denied, so it may be mirroring a trait or quality that is ready to come back to help you be in your wholeness.

Owl medicine includes prophecy, wisdom, stealth, silence, intuition, clairvoyance, clairaudience, shapeshifting, and keen vision that can pierce all illusion. Owls and hawks possess the keenest eyesight of all raptors, giving them broad vision. Call upon Owl to unmask and see what is truly beneath the surface -- what is hidden or in the shadows. Night Eagle, as Owl is called, is the bird of magic and darkness, of prophecy and wisdom. Great Horned Owls have a large repertoire of haunting calls that can be heard over several miles on a still night. Owl is a messenger of omens who will call out to let all share in its vision. Click here to view my music video "Owl Vision - Ayahuasca Journey." 

No comments:

Post a Comment